Tis the Season: Elegant Nibbles & Decadent Delights
Quick, easy and elegant passed Hors d’Oeuvres for all your cocktail parties this holiday season!
I love these little nibbles for any soirée, especially New Year’s Eve! They are easy to pick up, light and always crowd pleasers. As they’re not traditional holiday fare (so they can take you through the entire holiday season!), I like to serve them on festively-decorated trays—try adding ornaments or glitter-edged roses to your serving pieces!
Ahi Tuna Tartare in Mini Filo Baskets
Tuna tartare is such an elegant appetizer to serve at holiday parties; it’s quick and easy to make, not too heavy, and tastes delicious with champagne. Make sure to get very good quality sashimi grade tuna.
(makes 6 baskets)
Mini filo shells (thawed)
1⁄2 lb raw sashimi grade Ahi tuna, cut into small cubes
3 green onions, chopped finely
1 tsp sesame seeds
2 tsp sesame oil
1 - 2 tsp Sriracha, depending on taste
1 tsp soy sauce
Thinly sliced green onions, black pepper, chili flakes and lemon wedges to garnish
1. In a large bowl, combine the Ahi tuna, chopped green onions, sesame seeds, sesame oil, Sriracha and soy sauce. Taste and add more soy sauce or Sriracha as necessary.
2. Place the thawed Filo shells onto a gorgeous tray.
3. Gently fill each shell with tuna tartare.
4. Garnish with sliced green onions, chil
Fresh Crab, Crème Fraîche & Scallion Toasts
There’s nothing better than sweet fresh crab with bright, savory Crème Fraîche and vibrant green onions ... serve it on some tiny crunchy toasts and you’ll be snacking on these all night. Make the crab mixture and keep it in the fridge—then you can quickly make more throughout the night as they disappear!
(makes 12-15 toasts)
6 oz of fresh lump or snow crab 2 tbsp Crème Fraîche
1 tsp chili flakes
2-3 green onions or scallions, thinly sliced Black pepper and salt to taste
In a large bowl, squeeze the lemon and combine with the crab, Crème Fraîche, chili flakes, salt and pepper. Mix with a fork until the crab is broken up.
2. Add more Crème Fraîche if you’d like it a little creamier—personally I find it looks and handles better with less!
3. Taste and add more salt and pepper if necessary.
4. Spoon the mixture onto the toasts and serve on a gorgeous tray
5. Garnish with black pepper and more green onion.
White Sesame Crusted Ahi Tuna on Cucumber
These appetizers are so scrumptious that it’s hard for me not to serve them at every event I have. They are surprisingly quick to make, with rich flavor and a delightfully crunchy crust. Perfect for those who want to avoid overly-filling carbs at every holiday gathering!
(Makes 6 pieces)
1 sashimi grade Ahi tuna steak (about 4 oz), washed and dried 2 tbsp white sesame seeds
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 lemon wedge
1 tsp chili flakes Olive oil
Black pepper Flake salt
Fresh thyme leaves
1 Persian cucumber, sliced diagonally into 6 slices
1. In a small bowl, squeeze the lemon wedge and combine with the chili flakes and soy sauce.
2. Marinate the tuna steak for a few minutes.
3. Place the sesame seeds on a plate. Remove the tuna from the marinade and dip into
the sesame seeds until fully coated in seeds.
4. Heat the olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat.
5. When hot, sear the tuna steak for about 2 minutes a side, until the sesame seeds are
toasted and golden brown. The tuna should be rare in the middle, so don’t overcook!
Don’t forget to sear the ends slightly as well.
6. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
7. Cut the tuna diagonally, with the grain, into 6 small slices.
8. Season each slice with a touch of black pepper and some flake salt.
9. Place your cucumber slices on a small tray and top each one with a slice of tuna.
10. Garnish with a thyme leaf.i flakes and black pepper.
5. Serve with a lemon wedge on the side!
Features Editor Pandora Vanderpump