LUX Celebrate America: Red, White & Blue Foodies
Deck Our Your Dog - July 4th means it’s officially hot dog season and everyone knows that the hot dog toppings are the most important part of this American classic. Ketchup and mustard are classic go-to condiments but it’s time to mix it up. We rounded up some of the best hot dog recipes to try at your patriotic BBQ.
Peachy Dog - Make your hot dogs taste like summer. This recipe will give your hot dogs a spicy kick with toppings of peaches, chopped jalapenos and cilantro.
Vietnamese Dog - For a fresh and bright flavor, top off your dog with pickled veggies, fresh cilantro, mint and siracha mayo.
Pesto Dog - Even though hot dogs are an American favorite, it doesn’t mean you can’t add a little Italian flavor to your dog. Spread your hot dog with a blend of mayo and pesto, topping it off with some fresh basil, chopped tomatoes and grated Parmesan.
Soy / Lime Dog - Just like the name of it – whip up some ketchup, soy sauce, and fresh lime juice for a new, fresh twist on regular ketchup as your hot dog topping.
Corny Dog - Nothing tastes more like summer than hot dogs and corn. So it makes sense to enjoy both together. Make a corn relish hot dog recipe by mixing together sweet corn, pickle relish and jalapeno peppers. Top off your dog with this relish and a little bit of celery salt.
Cubano Dog - Add a layer of ham, Swiss cheese, pickles and spicy mustard for a tasty take on a Cuban favorite.
Flag Dessert Cake - Refreshing and sweet and all things neat! American pride comes in all flavors and this is by far... a true treat!
4 cups fresh strawberries
1 pkg. (12 oz.) frozen prepared pound cake, thawed, cut into 14 slices
1-1/3 cups blueberries, divided
1 tub (12 oz.) COOL WHIP Whipped Topping, thawed
Slice 1 cup strawberries; halve remaining strawberries.
Cover bottom of 13x9-inch dish with cake slices; top with sliced strawberries and 1 cup blueberries. Spread COOL WHIP over berries.
Arrange strawberry halves and remaining blueberries on COOL WHIP to resemble a US flag. Keep refrigerated.
Kale Burger with Avocado Ranch - This recipe is courtesy of Rachael Ray and it will blow your guests away with nutrients and savory goodness. Get your greens in this burger and go for the WIN!
2 cups (packed) baby kale or baby spinach
1 pound ground beef (80% lean)
3 - 4 tablespoons grated onion with juices
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Salt and pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 slices Cooper sharp white American cheese (www.coopercheese.com) or Monterey jack
1 ripe Hass avocado, pitted and peeled
3/4 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Juice of 1/2 lemon (about 2 tbsp.)
1 large clove garlic, grated
1 tablespoon green hot sauce (such as Tabasco Green Jalapeno Pepper Sauce)
4 brioche rolls, split and toasted
Lettuce, tomato and thinly sliced onion
1. In a food processor, pulse the greens until very finely chopped.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine the greens and the meat. Add the onion and its juice and the Worcestershire; season with salt and pepper. Form into 4 patties, thinner in the centers for even cooking. Rinse out the processor bowl and return it to the base.
3. Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium-high. Add the oil, one turn of the pan. Add the patties and cook, turning occasionally, until browned, about 8 minutes. During the last minute or so of cooking, top each patty with 1 slice of cheese; tent loosely with foil to melt the cheese.
4. In the processor, combine the avocado, sour cream, herbs, lemon juice, garlic and hot sauce. Season with salt and process into a smooth, thick dressing.
5. Serve the patties on the rolls with the lettuce, tomato, onion and lots of dressing.