LUX Wellness: Essential Oils
Aromatherapy is magic. It's a sensory journey that can instantly change your mind, body and spirit. From the dreamy aroma of lavender to the stimulating fragrance of eucalyptus, let essential oils ignite your senses and transform your body. Life can get hectic, but unwind time is vital to a peaceful soul with an overall healthy balance.
These oils will allow you to discover the rich therapeutic properties that cannot be found elsewhere. Elevate your spirit, gain mental clarity and restore harmonic balance. Self-soothe and breathe deep!
1. Tea Tree: Powerful and mighty. Distilled from the Australian plant Melaleuca alternifloria, tea tree is one of the oils that can be used topically. It's awesome for treating skin problems like acne or blemishes. Dab it on the problem area with a cotton swab to help clear up the bacteria / sooth your skin.
2. Lavender: One of our all time faves. It's beauty extends far beyond the sensational smell. It's one of the most versatile oils that is known for relaxing the mind. Something you may not know is that it works to heal bruises, cuts and skin irritation. Say so-long to your stress and add a few drops in your bath to send you straight to dreamland. For peaceful sleep, you can also put a couple of drops of the oil on your hands, rubbing them together and inhaling, then sprinkle a few more on your pillow. Zen!
3. Calendula: It's particularly good for sensitive skin and can be used to reduce the appearance of acne scars. You can also put a drop in your bath water to soothe psoriasis.
4. Chamomile: Well known for its relaxing effects, which is why the tea is popular to drink before bed. Add to the effect with a few drops of the oil on your pillowcase. A cup of chamomile and a good book is a great way to end the day!
5. Peppermint: Say goodbye to headaches. Peppermint purifies and stimulates the mind. You can rub a few drops into your fingers and massage the sides of your temples. While doing this, it also can increase mental alertness. On another note, it's one of just a handful of oils that can be taken internally, which is amazing for indigestion — just mix a few drops in water and drink.
6. Frankincense: This should be a household staple. You can use it both for relaxation, such as in baths, and to help minor cuts and bug bites heal more quickly. It's been used for thousands of years and can also be used for depression, inflammation, immunity and to increase spiritual awareness.
7. Oregano: It's not just a fantastic Italian ingredient. You may have heard of this oil being a killer flu fighter! This strong-tasting oil has naturally antibacterial qualities, which is why many think it can help to fight colds and other sicknesses. It is taken topically, often by putting a few drops on the tongue — the taste isn't pleasant but many people swear by it during flu season.
8. Eucalyptus: This is a great oil to have on hand if you get frequent colds or suffer from allergies that make your congested. It's especially great for sore muscles and to help clear sinuses. On top of that, it also has many antibacterial properties and has been known to stimulate the immune system. Use it in a vaporizer to loosen up a congested chest or apply it diluted to the inside of your nose to relieve nasal congestion. But never ingest it or use it on your skin undiluted, as it can be irritating.