LUX Celebrate Fall: Best Family Harvest Destinations
Mainstream vacations happen in the prime of summer when ice cream, sun bathing, surfing and gypsy livin' is all the rage. It's a time of year that everyone looks forward to for YOLO experiences and a timeout from life. However, when Fall strikes... travel and scenery get lush with color, vibrant with cooler weather and radiant with rolling hills. You don't have to travel far to experience California's awe-inspiring natural beauty.
Leef-peeping, seasonal treats, festivals, caramel apples, farmers' markets, corn mazes and harvest hayrides all entice a memorable family vaca in Cali. Check out our picks for the best Family-driven Fall destinations to ring in the season!
1. Avila Barn - Nestled down a whimsical side street in Avila Beach, California you will stumble on this magical little spot. Among locals a smile forms on the face when Avila Valley Barn is mentioned. A favorite spot to stop off and buy the freshest fruit and vegetables grown locally, pick up a pie or bakery treat, stop off for lunch from our deli or get an ice cream on the way to Avila Beach. There are hayrides, a corn roaster, tractor rides, an enormous pumpkin patch, farm animals and a farmers' market style selection of treats. Avila Valley Barn is truly a place built for the whole family in mind!
2. Hillcrest - Hillcrest Farms is the oldest in the San Joaquin Valley. Founded in 1960 by Ed and Bonnie Toews, it has been at its current location ever since. The charm of Hillcrest glows during some of the most magical times of year with an incredible pumpkin patch and PJ train ride with Santa during Christmas for the Polar Express. All aboard!
3. Forneris Farms Harvest Festival - The Forneris Farms harvest Festival is celebrating its 100th year this year. Bring the whole family down for a full day of corn maze, tractor pulled train ride, pony rides, live entertainment, jumpy jumper, hay pyramid and so much more fun. Growing greatness since 1966!
4. Half Moon Bay Pumpkin Festival - Autumn is a spectacularly special season on the fertile, scenic coast around Half Moon Bay where the entire Coastside area bursts into a brilliant sea of orange and buzzes with excitement and activity to celebrate its bountiful and beautiful fall harvest. It's the pumpkin capital of California, and it defends its rep every year with this ultimate harvest festival. From the delicious pumpkin pancakes and ice cream to the famous parade and pumpkin weigh-off, this is the place to be in October.
5. Bishop's Pumpkin Farm - Picture this: Corn maze (3 acres), coyote mine, hayrides, petting zoo, Charlie's Carousel, zipline, pumpkins, flower farm, pony rides, train rides, tasty treats, pig races and more. This all goes down at Bishop's Pumpkin Farm in Wheatland, CA.