LUX Get Clean: Winter Skin Tips
1. Gentle Cleaning - Cleanse your face twice a day with natural cleansers. Think about ditching the harsh cleansers that contain chemicals that can strip your skin of its natural emollients. Instead, look for a natural cleanser with an oil-free base to use on your face, especially in trouble areas that are prone to oiliness.
2. Tone Skin - After cleansing, follow with a good toner before moisturizing, particularly if you have oily, acne-prone skin. Toner restores your skin’s natural pH levels, removes all traces of makeup and cleanser residue and closes and tightens the pores. Choose an alcohol-free toner, as alcohol can irritate your skin and cause dryness. Rose Water is often used an all natural toner because of its healing and beautifying qualities. It just sounds pretty!
3. Ditch Heavy Oily Makeup - Remember, less is more—especially when it comes to makeup. Be kind to your skin, let it breathe by keeping the cosmetics you apply minimal and lightweight. And always make sure to wash all makeup off before going to bed to avoid clogged pores and icky build up.
4. Mask It Up - Use a deep cleansing facial mask and/or exfoliate once a week. Bentonite clay is often used as a natural detox facial mask for deep pore cleansing, eliminating dead skin cells and washing away free radicals—a natural answer to a variety of skin problems. A mixture of Bentonite Clay powder and apple cider vinegar provides an effective treatment for acne. We are a total fan!
5. Hydrate - Water is the fountain of you. When in doubt, load up on water! Obviously, hydrating is great for both your body and skin. Drinking plenty of water is the cheapest and most natural way to take care of your complexion—a minimum of eight glasses per day is a proven way to help keep your skin moisturized, smooth and ageless.
6. Sleep to Dream - Quality sleep is key to maintaining clear, healthy skin. If you are regularly sleep-deprived, it can cause your skin to appear dull and aged, literally overnight. Beauty sleep is more than just a catch-phrase—get at least 7-8 hours of sleep each night to help avoid wrinkles.
7. Moisturize - As weather conditions and seasons change, your skin care routine should change too. Especially during the winter, instead using your water-based moisturizer, you should look for an oil-based moisturizer. That’s because the oil creates a protective layer on your skin which helps keep your skin moisturized even in extreme weathers. It's important to look for oil-based moisturizers that are made of non-clogging oils such as primrose oil, avocado oil, mineral oil, or almond oil.